Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Brunch Play Date Full of Love and Art

I. Am. Done.
Tired, done.

After the past few days of Valentine celebrations, I am using today to crash and regain my energy.

Although, I must admit, the OCD-ish part of me has already taken down all of the Valentine decor to make room for the upcoming Spring, which I love so much, I can just taste it!

But, before we move on, I must share some of the fun we've had. This year, I had my heart set on hosting a Valentine brunch and art play date with the kids. I wanted them to get involved and share their love and appreciation for some of their friends.
We started the morning with brunch. A simple table setting with plates from the dollar store, a (never used before) kitchen rug I used as their table cloth, and hand-painted cups.
To make these heart cups, you will need a few simple materials:
1. red paper cups
2. white craft paint
3. sponge
4. pink glitter
5. thick paper for heart template
First, cut out a heart template from the thick paper and tape onto the front of your cup. Next, use the sponge to tap the paint over the template onto the cup.

Finally, sprinkle pink glitter over the paint as a final touch.
After brunch, the kids bolted straight to the art table.


The art table included smocks for each child (found at the Dollar Tree), paints, glitter, stickers, pompoms, and plenty of paper! I decided to make the banner in the background the night before, and was shocked at how quick and simple it was to make! All you need are:
1. brown paper bags
2. red construction paper
3. a glue stick
4. ribbon or twine to hang the banner

You simply cut a triangle top out of the bottom opening of the bag as it is laying flat. Then take your red construction paper, fold it into half vertically and cut out half of the heart along the fold. Similar to this, but smaller:
Glue the hearts onto the front of the bags. Then tuck the bag fold over the ribbon and hang! So simple.

As you can see, the kids got busy right away and started working on their creations. We made heart trees inspired by parenting.com.


They had a little bit too much fun with the glitter...hence the GLITTER toes!


Love was definitely in the air and the day was wonderful. The children had a blast and I'm so grateful we shared the day together.

Now, off to rest and dream happy dreams full of Spring pastels and upcoming projects to celebrate!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment