Saturday, February 9, 2013

Last Minute Valentines for School Teachers

Just when you thought you were aaaaalll ready for your kid's school function....
BAM!
          Wrong.

I swore I had Valentine's Day all wrapped up in a neat, little "ha-ha, I'm all set" ball. Then, I realize I completely forgot about my son's teachers. One would think, "that's not so bad. Pick up one or two cards." Right?

Wrong,
            again.

For one, my son goes to a creative school where he has two main teachers, but also four other teachers that frequent the classroom. So that's six, plus the school Director. 6 + 1 = 7.

Second, I wouldn't be Marilyn if I just went to the store and picked up a generic card. Boring!

Third, how could I resist creating something that I knew they wouldn't be getting from any other student?

Fourth, how else am I supposed to feed my addiction to crafting?

So I ran off to my local dollar store and picked up a bunch of adorable heart-shaped cookie cutters to create their own custom Valentine's Day cards.

You will need:
1. heart-shaped cookie cutters (we found ours at the Dollar Tree)
2. thin ribbon
3. red, pink or white heavy stock paper
3. pencil for tracing
4. exacto knife
5. paper bag or envelope to put the card in (optional)

Here is a snapshot of everything I used.

1. Cut your paper in half, into two long strips.

 2. Fold each strip in half.

 3. Trace a heart onto the front of the folded card. 

4. Let your little ones learn by allowing them to trace shapes with you! 
(Please keep that exacto knife far away!)

 5. Carefully cut out your heart shape. I found it easier to keep my cookie cutter in place and traced along the outside rim with the knife.

 This is what it will look like.

6. Thread thin ribbon along the top part of your cookie cutter.

7. Punch a hole along the middle fold of the card. Thread your ribbon through the hole and tie into a bow to secure your cookie cutter in the center.

8. You can hand-write or print a simple sentiment on the bottom. We printed a few and glued them onto the front with a glue stick. Lastly, you can place inside a pretty envelope or bag to hand to your child's teachers! 

xoxo!







No comments:

Post a Comment